Friday, February 26, 2016

Claiming Catherine



Claiming Catherine: Montana Maiden Series, Book 1


Written by: Vanessa Vale
Narrated by: Lauren Sweet, Brian L. Hunter
Length: 3 hrs and 43 mins
Series: Montana Maiden, Book 1
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:03-20-15
Publisher: ABCD Graphics and Design, Inc.


My Review
I do not even know where to begin I am still in shock. I know in this time frame women didn’t have a lot of say about issues. I have a hard time believing that every man in a town including the preacher and doctor would agree to this life style. I had no idea that this was an  Erotica read I guess had I went to Amazon and not Audible to read the description I would have know this before signing up to review it. As with most Erotica reads there is very little story and I do not mind sex but I really would like a story with it which this book has very little of. When the preacher asked if they wanted him to cork her, my mouth fell open. I have a hard time believing a man of God would do this to an innocent or any women. The next place I have a hard time believing is when he thought it was ok for his brothers to see her with no clothes on or even touch her in private places. Had I been this women and got branded a harlot for undoing a confining button on her blouse (which would be correct in this time period) and then walked into a marriage of this kind I would have run for the hills never to have returned. I know they had BDSM very early in history but as a mail order bride that is an innocent and all the man in town are doing this I have a hard time buying that.  

Dom/Sub relationships are based on trust this story was not. First they have to drug their wives up their butts with corks and plugs to even get them in the mood to do the deed whenever the husband wants. Then they have to keep them drugged for the rest of their lives so they can do the deed whenever and wherever they want to with whatever people might be around. There is no trust this is all about control and getting all they can get whenever they want by drugging the women to make them sick so she would understand that she needed to take her meds like a girl little girl. His reply is I am only doing what is right for you to keep you safe and healthy I am only thinking of you. I found very little romance in this story. I will give the author credit for turning around Jake at the end to wanting to make his wife happy in return making him happy with what he wanted.  The one thing about a story is if it is believable and the author makes you buy into it. This story is not believable yes it is fiction but it is not believable.

Narration by Lauren Sweet, Brian L. Hunter was really good they put emotion into the read. You felt Catherine pain, embarrassment, her sorrow and so much more. You felt how controlling each man were and the thrills they were getting from treating women like trash, from embarrassing them and making them feel lower than life. There are not any background noises or interruption just a clear listen with lots of emotions. You have no trouble knowing what each character is going through. The different character voices were good. I would have liked it better had the women been done by Ms. Sweet and the male by Mr. Hunter in no way does it take away from the listen.  All in all these narrators did an outstanding job. I given them 5 stars and feel they deserve this after narrating this story.

I am so sorry this story has a pretty good plot but not much of a story. The only thing I got out of this story are the men are controlling and get off on the thrills of from treating women like trash, from embarrassing them and making them feel lower than life along with degrading them. Yes I will agree some of this went on all through history but a WHOLE town? This is what we know as abuse to demean, embarrass, control and put down.   If it had not been every man in town even the preacher and doctor I would have bought into this story.  Book 2 in this series does sound like a great read and I am hoping it will be a little better than this one maybe have a story with it. I have promise to review both books and will do so with an open mind as long as there is a story with the sex. I just cannot buy into a whole town going along with this. If it had more of a story and not just the deed of control and the means they gain that control I could go along with the rest of it.  I really hate to give a bad review and do not take on a book I feel I can’t give at least a 3 or above. I wish I could in this case. I know there will be people who will love this story. It will be right up their ally and that is great but sadly I am just not one of them.


Buy Links
Audible

Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment