Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Hurricane


The Hurricane

Written by: R. J. Prescott
Narrated by: Pearl Hewitt
Length: 10 hrs and 26 mins
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:02-02-16
Publisher: Hachette Audio

My Review
The story is full of drama, sadness, overcoming the past and making a better life for yourself. The saddest part for me was her mother letting her stepfather do whatever he wanted to her and standing by him. They were so close before her father died and then he came along and her mother just fell apart. When most mothers would be protecting their child this mother more or less said yes beat my child and rapes her in front of me while I close the door and walk away. You can do whatever you want as long as you do not hit me just hit her.

Cormac was just living day to day with no thought of tomorrow until he met Em than his life changed as he tried to better his self and make a life for her. I really loved this character he was a protector from the start he gave so much of his self. I really felt bad for him when something happened and he thought it was his fault. No one can be there 24/7. His mother was something else and I was glad to see he saw the true her.

Em what can I say about her to have lived through all she had and still have faith in mankind is amazing. I think I would have had to kill the stepfather before I left town. I thought she was a wonderful character picking up her life and moving on getting an education and paying her way was outstanding.

I thought the author did a great job her voice was strong and real for the characters. You could feel the emotions as the characters were dealing with the drama. I didn’t hear any background noise just a few places where the audio when from normal to a little louder. The characters emotions were all over the place and I felt she did them very well. I thought the tones were even with you knowing just what each was feeling at any giving minute. Her character voices were good you had no trouble knowing who was talking. Her male to female were nice, she has a very clear easy voice to listen to. I thought she did a good narration with a lovely voice.

I thought this was a great plot but could have been made a little shorter. At times I thought not enough information had been given and at other times way too much. It wasn’t a audio I had trouble putting down and coming back to. I did want to know the ending and found it to be an interesting read. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop with her stepfather but the author keep that for later building it up to a wonderful ending. I hope he got what he so richly deserved. It was really a nice second chance story that at times was very touching. I would have liked to have known after so long where the mother stood and how she was doing. I would have also liked to have known what happen 10 years down the road with the main characters. All in all it wasn’t a bad listen I give it a 3.5 starts with a 4.5 for the narration.

Buy Links




Overview
Emily McCarthy is living in fear of a dark and dangerous past. A gifted mathematician, she is little more than a hollow, broken shell, trying desperately to make ends meet long enough to finish her degree.

Through an unlikely friendship with the aging, cantankerous owner of an old boxing gym, Em is thrown into the path of the most dangerous man that she has ever met.

Cormac “the Hurricane” O’Connell is cut, tattooed and dangerous. He is a lethal weapon with no safety and everyone is waiting for the mis-fire. He’s never been knocked out before, but when he meet Em he falls, HARD. Unlike any other girl he’s ever met, she doesn’t want anything from him, but just being around her makes him want to be a better person.

They are polar opposites who were never meant to find each other, but some things are just worth the fight

No comments:

Post a Comment