Thursday, April 13, 2017

Gilded Cage:



Gilded Cage: The Canary Club Books

Written by: Sherry D. Ficklin
Narrated by: Meghan Kelly
Length: 1 hr and 43 mins
Series: The Canary Club, Book 1
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:02-14-17
Publisher: Sherry Ficklin


This is short but carries a big punch the author fills a lot in few words never leaving anything out. You know just what is happening as she and the narrator pulls you in taking you away giving you a really enjoyable read. Masie’s family is very well to do even if her father might not have made all his money the illegal way. The book starts out with her being away in school being called home because of her mother’s illness. There is a little mystery around the mother, we never see her and you are left wondering just what happen to her. Marsie’s father is a very tough man and not always kind he is a user. Her brother I just haven’t made my mind up fully about him. What I do know is Masie is playing with fire and a dangerous game between her father and the man she lusts after. She has just about set the trap for herself putting her in a cage of her own making leaving her to wonder just what kind of mess she has gotten herself into.

Ms. Kelly as always does a great job I do believe this might be her best work. She gives you a smooth clean and clear audio that pulls you in painting a picture you have no trouble picturing the danger as it unfolds. I really enjoyed her character voices, you have no trouble knowing who is talking and what they are feeling. The confusing and excitement along with the anger comes through very clear. Her tones are even, there was no background noise or any places where the volume changed it one steady listen. Her male voices are just as good as her female ones. She really has come a long way from the first audio I have listened to of hers. I had no trouble picturing and feeling Masie anger, hurt, sorrow and excitement at finally getting her father’s attention. It really was a great listen with powerful emotions.

I liked a few of the characters and a few not so much. It was very easy to get the feel of Masie since the book is mostly about her. I could really feel her pain over her mother and really felt sorry for her. I understood that she just wanted to make her father proud and wanted his love. Her old love is a mix of let’s do it to let’s stop her father wouldn’t be too happy and he does want to keep his job. This story reminds me a lot of a mob but I do not get the feeling it is as of yet. I thought it has a good plot with a good writing style. This is a cliffhanger which I do not care for, I think it could have all been put in one book. The story held my attention and at times very exciting, there is passion and a few little hot scenes.  I did enjoy it enough to want to read the next in the series. It is very short but I think worth the listen. I know when the book ended I just put my head in my hands and as OH Masie what have you done….

Buy Links
Audible

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Gilded-Cage-Canary-Club-Story-ebook/dp/B06XNK9YZ5/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1492129375&sr=8-5&keywords=Gilded+Cage

Google Play

B&N

Summary
Masie, the flaxen-haired daughter of notorious bootlegger Dutch Schultz, returns home from boarding school to find her family in crisis. Her mother is dangerously unstable, her father's empire is on the brink of ruin, and the boy she once loved has become a ruthless killer for hire. To keep her family's dangerous secrets, Masie is forced into a lie that will change the course of her future—and leave her trapped in a gilded cage of her own making.
GILDED CAGE is the first installment of THE CANARY CLUB STORY Collection. Set during the flamboyant anything-goes era of 1920's America, these short stories are filled with intriguing characters and rich imagery from the time period—with romance, flappers, jazz music, gangsters, and lavish wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment