Saturday, September 3, 2016

Love on the Range


Love on the Range: A Looking Glass Lake Prequel (Looking Glass Lake Series Book 0)
by Rebecca Nightsong


My Review
There were things that made this a 5 star read for me and other places where it was more of a 4 star. I loved the scenes from the old west from the train to the wagon. I found this to be humorous and at times chuckled. I enjoyed the fact this was a sweet heartwarming clean Christian read for those times when you do not want anything heavy just wanting to relax with a good story. I found the baiting back and forward between Marlee and Jett to be delightful. From the moment she steps off the train she starts out on the wrong foot with not much changing as she takes on her new job which is rather confusing for her. When she finds out what all it entitles she is at a loss for words saying no way not happening.  Of course if she doesn’t take on the job there would be no story that would be a shame since it really has a wonderful plot. I loved her knifes they bought many hours of entertainment.  Marlee is a chef but her training has not prepared her for her new job. She fines cooking on an open fire totally different from cooking on a stove. Once the trail ride is over I am sure she will be hugging and kissing her stove never to leave it again.

Marlee is a wonderful sweet character she isn’t a quitter she gives it her all and then some.  She isn’t one to let the grass grow under her feet or complain. She steps up takes action even if it gets her in over her head.  There are times when things get to be too much and she needs to regroup but it doesn’t take long for her to bounce back giving it another try.  Jett has a lot on his plate taking over the full running of the ranch with the owner trying to take care of his family with one dead and another in the hospital at deaths door he just cannot cope with life leaving Jett to take over.  Jett is trying his best to do the job when Marlee comes along he just shakes his head trying to make the best of the green horn.  He is sure in for some very trying times as Marlee keeps him on his toes.

I truly loved this story I just did not feel the chemistry between the two as much as I would have liked. I would have liked to have known more of the owner’s background as well as more about what happen to the rustlers. At times I thought it moved a little slow just as I was getting ready to put it up for the night the author hooked me with some action packed that had me turning the pages.  Since this is a series maybe some of the questions  will be explained later on but I just felt like there was not any closure. I did love the ending which at one point was heart breaking and then took off with a scene that will leave you smiling. The letter Jett wrote I found very touching and very emotional but I just didn’t feel that emotion as much when they were together.  I enjoyed them getting to know each other, watching their love grow and the matchmakers are very humorous keeping things moving right along. You will be so surprised when something happens that puts some major action into the read. There is a lot more to Marlee than the eye can see, she is full of many surprises.

I thought for the most part this story was well written I would  have like a little more information. I had no trouble picturing the things that happen in my mind which added more humor to it. I would have loved to have seen the cowboys faces a time or two. The story held my interest keeping me hook that I do want to read the next in this series. This looks to be a very promising series with some wonderful reading. I really enjoyed all the characters they add so much to the story even when they put their foot in their mouth. I hope you will give this new author a try I think most will enjoy this clean funny read with some serious messages for the reader.

Buy Links




Summary
A plucky city girl. A tough cowboy.
Romance in cowboy country.

When a crisis cripples the ranch, stern cowboy Jett Maddox is suddenly promoted to foreman. Just in time for the fall cattle drive. No sweat. Except for the new spitfire cook who is way too soft for wild country.

City-girl Marlee Donovan knows failure. She’s already on her second career, and her family is sure she’ll fail again. But plucky Marlee packs up her chef’s knives and heads west for a cook’s job on a ranch anyway. She’s ready to prove herself.
As Marlee struggles with the hardships of life in the west, Jett finds himself falling for her. And Marlee is drawn to the unexpected soft side of the gruff cowboy.

But when tragedy at the ranch escalates, a difficult decision must be made…and Marlee’s stubborn streak could cost her everything.

Love on the Range is a prequel to the Looking Glass Lake series of contemporary Christian romance.
If you like sweet and clean love stories with quirky characters that get you laughing, then you’ll love Rebecca Nightsong’s world of imperfect people who dare to put their faith and love in action.
If you like books by Janet Tronstad, Brenda Minton, and Lucy McConnell, then you'll love this touching story and its quaint little town.

Saddle up and start this daring adventure love story today!

No comments:

Post a Comment