Saturday, September 23, 2017

Occupational Hazards: The Blue-Collar Omnibus by Geoff Sturtevant

Occupational Hazards: The Blue-Collar Omnibus
by Geoff Sturtevant


Jar Baby -John McLain (Narrator)
I laughed myself silly from baby in the jar to the, redneck hillbilly and his ways just too dang funny. “I’ll be dipped in S*** “ has become my favorite new saying. I thought I would die laughing at how he talked about his wife, the TV and new laptop. His wife is something else as they bring you laugh after laugh I bet you won’t be able to stop listening. The ending is to die for just too funny. The narrator did an outstanding job, loved his character voices he really had the characters down to a T. I plan to listen to this one again.

The Relativist - Jonathan Sleep (Narrator)
I didn’t care for this one it is about Chinese people and how they cook, what their secrets are. The narrator never did sound Chinese which really took away from the story. The narrator wasn’t bad his character voice just didn’t fit this story.

Anything For My Bubela - Steven Jay Cohen (Narrator)
A man owes a lot of money and mother is beside herself. Just how could her dear son do this to her? Funny, cute as the author spins a delightful tale of mother, son and the wrong people to owe money to. I laughed so much through this. Dear sweet mama is something else and so very surprising.The narration was wonderful I loved his character voices they really fit the character and pull you in. I had no trouble picturing each scene as it unfolded. The narrator really puts a lot of emotion into this audio. I just loved it and plan to listen to this one again.

The Organization - Paul J. McSorley (Narrator)
This is about an old folks home and what happens to them as a delivery man looks on in horror. It’s full of surprises you won’t see coming. A great twist that is shocking but at times funny once you get over the horror of it. The narration was great, wonderful male and female voices that fit each character. The emotion for each character was outstanding.

Anchors Away – Geoff Sturtevant (Author, Narrator)
This is not listened on the title page but it is a short story about a sailor, his voyage and letting his so call anchor fly. That is about all I can say about it without giving it away. The author is also the narrator in this story. He does a wonderful job of narration from his character voices to his sound effects they are outstanding. I do wish it has been a little longer about the time you get into the story it is over. A fun listen that holds your attention.

The Technicians - Ramon de Ocampo (Narrator)
There is a lesson in this DO NOT put off tomorrow what you can and should have done today you never know when it might be too late. These men get very high pay for doing their job but if you mess up as one did you might be done. The story is based around two techs that do their job with pride, as you will come to see the jobs they do aren’t something most of us would like to do or enjoy doing. I saw the ending coming just as it unfolds and my heart went out to one of these men. The narration was great, the characters voices were great. I loved the accent, and the emotions given to each character. I could hear the emotion in their voice when a job goes bad or even went good.

Night Fright - Ramon de Ocampo (Narrator)
I sure didn’t see that coming. When fantasy meets reality you just have to go with the flow and do what comes natural. New neighbor moves in all the ladies want to meet up with him that is all but one which is the kid next door that lets his mind go wild. With the man’s night light the kid is looking at it closely maybe a little too close. It really does become a frightful night. The narration is good, the character voices are good and the author and narrator really pulls you in.

My Best customer - Paul J. McSorley (Narrator)
I will never look at delivery man the same again, well I never looked at them this way. Ok there are some very cute ones out there. Some are true hunks but I would never think about taking it to this level. This is so wrong in so many ways. The lesson between these pages is be careful, be very careful what you say you just might think you are saying something wonderful when in fact you just might have said something you will spend the rest of your life wishing you had not. I really liked this story but it is a little out there. I doubt (I would say I am sure but you just never know about people) this would ever happen. The narration is great, there were times I thought maybe some yelling should have been done but the narrator really does pull you in. He does give emotion and for the most part it is really good. I thought he did a good job. Cute and at times very funny.

Return to The Dirt - Paul J. McSorley (Narrator)
This story is about the making of bologna but it has a weird name I can’t remember. I knew there was a reason I didn’t like the stuff and I will never eat it again lol. Here you have three people who come together at a new job. They never really had a job or really want one. They are both unique in their own way. One day after taking part in what they enjoy doing, something happens that will change the life of all three of them. There is a part that I just looked on in shock as I picture the scene before my eyes. Let me tell you it isn’t one I will forget for a long time to come. Most likely I will remember this story each time I past the bologna at the store or any time anyone talks about this food. The narration was great the narrator really pulls you from so many points. His character voices are outstanding and fit the characters.

-------------

I loved all the narrators in this box-set with the exception of The Relativist. The voice does not go with the characters and the music is way too loud at the beginning of each chapter. It is so loud you can barely hear what the narrator is saying. As for the rest of the box-set the music goes very well and blends well throughout the stories. There are not any background noises in any of the stories, if any breaks were taken I could not tell. I thought the performance for all of them but the one was outstanding, the character voices were great and I totally loved their narration. I would love to listen to more of the five narrators that I like. It was a pleasure listening to them. I loved the accents, as well as the female and male voices. I had no trouble knowing who was talking or what they were feeling. This was a very clean and clear audio that I really enjoyed.

The author is something else I have to say my favorite in this set is Jar Baby and Anything For My Bubela. Each story is unique, interesting and really pulls the reader in. I found the stories to be delightful, fun and shocking along with thrilling. I laughed, chuckled and felt sorry for a few. I sure hope my job never turns out like these did. I have never read anything by this author and look forward to listening to more of his audio and read more of his books.

Buy Links
Audible
https://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Occupational-Hazards-The-Blue-Collar-Omnibus-Audiobook/B074KMNF8W/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1506212103&sr=1-1

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Occupational-Hazards-Blue-Collar-Geoff-Sturtevant-ebook/dp/B073ZVZ1TY/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1506197246&sr=1-4&dpID=51QmrHc%252BCuL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Summary
Occupational Hazards is an omnibus of acclaimed novelettes from the "Return to the Dirt" and "Just Speculating" collections, and new, exclusive stories only available in this book.

The stories exemplify the unsavory side of our everyday existence. Existentialism, absurdism, and outlandish humor merge with ordinary, workaday life for a unique and hilarious perspective of the human experience.

Occupational Hazards is an unflinching ride through the absurdity of it all. Not recommended for the faint of heart or easily offended. But if meaty stories are what you’re after…

I hope you’re hungry.


“In time-honoured fashion, these taut tales of work and death employ humour to highlight the worst aspects of human behaviour. They're sharp, savage slices of smartly observed social satire, with humour so bleak it raises blisters.”
murdermayhemandmore.com (on Return to the Dirt)

“True to the Sturtevant style, each tale offers a penetrating view into humanity, opening the doors that people usually keep shuttered tight from prying eyes, and doing so with razor-sharp dialogue and a healthy dose of (sometimes) dark humor.”
Amazon reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment