Sunday, May 28, 2017

The Cain Conspiracy

The Cain Conspiracy: The Cain Series, Book 1



Written by: Mike Ryan

Narrated by: Charles Hayward

Length: 4 hrs and 52 mins

Series: The Cain Series, Book 1

Unabridged Audiobook

Release Date:10-17-16

Publisher: Mike Ryan


At times this story was a little slow and other times a steady beat. The story has good parts and some not so good. What throw me more than anything was when the character said I thought and then someone answered their thought. If someone is thinking most likely it is in their head and others to not hear it. This happens way too much for it to have been a thought that slipped out. Just as I was getting into the story “I thought” was said and just took away from all I had enjoyed which left me thinking more about why that was there I and missed what happen next. The hooker relation throws me as well, he is such a gentleman with her but with his handle he is a starved man, there was no chemistry for me to buy into this part. I feel a little more development is needed, more follow up is needed on the med Cain took, to him checking out the agency to make sure they were on the up and up.  I found these things very confusing. Before I get into what worked for me let’s talk about the narrator.

Mr. Ryan has a delightful voice which really adds to the story. His character voices are great. You have no trouble knowing who is talking at any given time. I am unsure why their boss is so harsh he always sounds mad which confused me. His emotions are not bad but I thought at one point the hooker laughed or chuckled the narrator should have does so as well why talking to make it more believable. I did not feel any sparks between any of the women or men. Now when the handler got mad at her ex I felt that through Mr. Ryan’s voice. When the ex got cocky I had no trouble I heard it in his voice and chuckled a time or two. There were parts that the emotion or excitement was easy to feel others a little more work is need but it wasn’t bad at all. There are no background noises nor any place where the volume changes. There are times Mr. Ryan need to pause give brakes between what is happening or between sentences. The audio is very clean, clear and crisp. If any breaks were taken I could not tell. I thought the narrator give an enjoyable listen that added to the audio. I do believe this is some of his first works and do believe with time he will become a very talented narrator.

What worked for me in this story was Cain when he wakes up I could feel his confusion. I had so much respect for him with the hooker from helping her start over to how he was a true gentleman. I am a little confused over what this agency is and why all the secrets between so many also the ex leave hints as to what it truly is but I am unsure as to why he wanted out but I feel as we go along we will understand more. The hooker I have to say my heart went out to her, the first time she finds a man that treats her as a person and she falls for him…so sad. I do have respect for her for trying to better herself. The handler has an emotional story to tell. The boss has me a little confused but again I feel that will come out as they story goes on. For the most part the action is wonderful I loved the car scene that really got my mind going. The excitement from the driver had me chuckling. To many fillers for me is a big problem which I have to give to the author he doesn’t use any. More or less every word written is needed to tell the story. For that alone it was worth the listen. Even with the confusing and the “I thought” part I thought this was an enjoyable listen. I most likely would listen to it again at some point.

Buy Links

Audible

Amazon

Summary
Shot in the head and recovering from brain surgery, Delta Force soldier Thomas Nelson wakes up in a military hospital unable to remember who he is. Faced with going through recovery alone, with no family that he's aware of, he is recruited by a top secret government agency. Project Specter is tasked with eliminating targets they deem to be a threat to the United States. Their goal is to turn Nelson into a super assassin named Matthew Cain.
Cain's first mission is supposed to be a piece of cake. Just take out an escaped fugitive in Honduras who's on the run for the rape and murder of a little girl in New York. There's only one problem; somebody beat him to it. Everything is not what it seems as Cain gets mixed up with an international arms dealer and an ex-government agent who's gone rogue and is supposed to be dead.
The Cain Conspiracy is the first book in the high-octane Cain Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment